Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 18: Week 2

Today is Monday, July 19. Oh yea by the way, here, the date is written as 19/7/10. Day, month and then year. It would be better since it has a time sequence. Maybe we should writing our dates like that?

I never seem to go breakfast, because I end up putting my phone on snooze for another half and hour and by 9am, breakfast ends. Anyways, Māori class at 10am. This class is really long! Two hours! Learn lots of things, which is really good, but long. Feels like a grad class, just the time length I'm talking about. Did review of what we learned last week. Also learned kupu hou (new words) and read a story about a taniwha (creature). After that, History. YEA!!! Here's my notes from this class.

Adaption & Diversity
-resource islands
-hunters
-gardeners

James Belich, leading historian

1st set- gathering islands, wood islands, fishing islands
2nd set- stone islands, gardening islands, game islands

moa

Ōtuataua stonefields

Māori treated the land as and archipelago of resources. Māori adapted well.


Here was my notes for the entire hour of the lecture. Haha, the rest I can get it online.

Ok so each class has what they call "MOODLE". It is similar to Laulima, where the teachers can upload different types of resources online for us to access. Another tool that is used in my Māori language class is called "Panopto". It records the lectures and the powerpoints and whatever else that happens in our class. It is really cool. Just incase you miss class, you can watch it online. Really awesome. Maybe this is something that UH can look into. Don't worry I plan to attend all my classes!!! It is pretty cool how this UNI works with technology and tutorial for students to succeed!!!

My late class, Te Tiriti (The Treaty) at 5pm. The latest class ever. This is what time dinner starts, so every Mondays, I miss dinner. While I am in class at 5pm, it is 7pm in Hawaiʻi. Anyways we continued where we left of on te ao Māori (Māori worldview). It is very similar to Hawaiian worldview. We left the class early to hear a presentation by Moana Jackson. A very famous Māori person who attends the United Nations' Indigenous gatherings. Really awesome presentation about the United Nations Declaration of Indigenous Rights. His stories are awesome about how this declaration what started. After the presentation, went up to say hi and mahalo him for his presentation. He knows our Hawaiʻi delegation such as Anakala Kekuni Blaisell, Mililani Trask and Lilikalā Kameʻeleihiwa.

3 comments:

  1. I quote, "cool".... There are food items you ingest which facilitates memory. Perhaps spinach, fish , maybe poi. Have these before class. Maybe add a smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they dont have any of those here. maybe fish in the sushi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not agree to that... heck no. If you want the info... come to class. Although it will say ANONYMOUS...I think you know who this is from :).

    ReplyDelete