Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 13: Wednesday, July 8th

So since it Saturday here in Aotearoa New Zealand, I thought I just catch up with my writing and inform you on whats the haps.

Ko te Rāapa tēnei, tekau mā wha o ngā rā o Hōngongoi. Nō te tekau karaka, ka haere au ki te akoranga mō te reo Māori.

ʻO ka Pōʻakolu kēia, ka lā ʻumikūmāhā o Iulai. I ka hola ʻumi au i hele ai i ka papa ʻōlelo Māori.

Well that is all I am going to write in Māori and so I also wrote it in Hawaiian. Just to show the some of the similarities between the two.


Only one class today and that was my Māori 112. Two hour class today. It was really good, I really like this class. We go over the sentence structures and practice with our partner. Even though I pretty much went through the whole book of Te Whanake 1, Te Kākano back home at UH Mānoa, it is a really good time for me to review, since I really haven't got a good grasp on it. So we went over on how to request, offe, decline and accept things. This is the pattern "He + subject + māu/māku etc. It is similar to Hawaiian, like the have sentence. But in Māori, it is the future tense marker (māu/māku) that makes it different.

These are just some of it.
māu = for you
māku= for me
māna = for him/her


Then we went over "I a....while". I am kinda relating this sentence structure to Oiai, while.
Example:

While you were talking the phone rang.

Māori:
I a koe e kōrero ana, ka tangi te waea.

Hawaiian:
Oiai ʻoe e ʻōlelo ana, ua kani ke kelepona.

I think this is correct? Haha I haven't used Oiai, so I will double check with this. Don't hold me on this.

Anyway classes are pretty long either 1 or 2 hours. After that, at 12 was tutorial. It is "compulsory" aka mandatory. I am wandering, if we should have something like this back home?! Pretty much in tutorial, we did worksheets and activities to strengthen what we all learned in lecture class.

The rest of the day was a blur, since I didn't have any classes. I pretty much went to go eat and stayed in my room till dinner.



1 comment:

  1. He Makana...Pehea.oe? In the service, I remember sleeping in most of my weekend. I once slept in from friday pau hana waayyy till Sunday evening dinner. I somehow found myself up for the meals, lunch and dinner. This was in Washington D.C. . The cultural center of America, I totally passed up the exploration opportunity.
    2ndly, In my english composition courses, a lot of creating short paragraphs is how your major papers get created. Your blogging lends itself to idea formation and development. Creating your expressive compositions in blogging is how your final compositions come about. Putting your reactions down into paragraphs, then saving them to documents may help when you may need to recall them for composition type exams or homework. Post(after) graduation composition writing, even if not for a degree is what makes you valuable after college. Giving credit to authors of ideas you like, enjoy, entertains you, is the other skill composition instructors look out for. Later!

    ReplyDelete