Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 12: Second Day of School

Sorry for the late blogs, but I will catch up and always to remember to try and write something!

Second day of school, only two classes. My first class is the Treaty paper at 11am. I really like this class, it is very interesting to learn about the Treaty of Waitangi, a very important document between the Māori and the British. It makes me wander about the treaties our Hawaiian Kingdom had with many countries. Those treaties must still be valid right? Even though, we currently do not have our kingdom right now. After that, then I had my History paper for about an hour. We watched a short documentary called Bastion Point - Day 507. A short summary is that a group of Māori (hundreds) decided to occupy a land that was "owned" by the crown. They lived on this particular area for 507 days, until police forces came to arrest and tear down their houses. Heres a video on youtube. It's in Māori but there are subtitles. Click here!

It reminds me of the evictions of Waimānalo and Sand Island. Really sad! After that pretty much just cruzed for the rest of the day until dinner. So early! Plus the food isn't that fulfilling!


2 comments:

  1. Holding your breath while waiting for more stuff to read does nothing but make one drop over from suffocation. A good summary probably would make for good enough reading. Your lectures may relate a lot of how the Maoris responded to "colonialism". One Topix discussion I last responded to last year talked about the inaction of the Queen's subjects in response to the troop landing in front of the Iolani Palace. I surmised that the natives did not have a militia type mentality such as was present during the American Revolution. The natives weren't sitting around with rifle muskets waiting for a call to arms. The natives, if you study anthropology, were fishing and cleaning up and stuff. The natives were a sustenance, food producing culture. A few, under the leadership of Robert Wilcox were running around upper McCully and Manoa valley, to few and too late. The opposition knew that Robert Wilcox was militarily trained and moved to disable him early on. Such is military tactics. Waitangi, I guess is also a sad story because it exposed the degrees of mistrust of the Chiefs among themselves/each other. This might have helped the colonials gain advantage. If you access interesting websites of this topic while in the library, can you copy, paste, email me some?
    Maybe your school paper website to mom, me and Uncle Paul, among others may be insightful. Does your cafeteria have a menu website? Study hard and check you later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes true. Although got to remember, our ancestors were warrior as well as cultivators of the land. But during the Kingdom period, we lost that knowledge and therefore, revert to what was in the present which was the rifles. Sure, I will post or something. I guess I can send you guys the PDF version of some of my classes. No the cafe doesn't have a menu.

    ReplyDelete