Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 48: Whakamātautau Nui 1

Wednesday, 18/8/10

Today was my day! Big, first test for my Māori language class! I am glad it is over! Did somewhat well on the whakarongo (listening) part. The rest of it was pretty aurite. Left some blank because I didn't understand those words. Gotta work on my vocabulary! Finished my test at 11:30ish and there was no tutorial. YES! Ate lunch, had no clue what it was, ate a little of it and had my peanut butter sandwich and hot chocolate! HMMMMM!!!

Then at 1:00pm off to kapa haka practice with Te Waiora o Waikato, University of Waikato's Māori Student Association for the Te Huinga Tauira. So, one of the members who is organizing this and is I guess in charge, created a song just for our group of Waikato. So pretty short, and I just gotta remember the words. Then for our haka, He Oranga Mai, we (the guys) started to learn the haka for this. I hope I am in the back of the line in doing this. Got some of it down, but its going to take choke and and choke practice in pretty much less then a week. Next week we start our break for 2 weeks. Tomorrow I'll share the information behind Te Huinga Tauira.

So I thought, I was going to be late for my Treaty tutorial. NOPE! Made it in time. Discussed about the principles of the Treaty: Partnership, Protection and Participation. Then, the other members in our group decided that the Te Reo Claim is to hard and thinks it would be better to do another one. I was really interested in doing Te Reo Claim. Haha I just finished reading the entire report of the Te Reo Claim by the Waitangi Tribunal, 77 pages! Nuts ah?! It was really interesting, mentioned twice of Hawaiians, as there were 2 Hawaiians that were partially observers in this process. If you wanna read it click here => Te Reo Claim.

3 comments:

  1. This is an example of the concept, "niche".
    That the group doesn't want to do it is collective agreement. The advocate always somehow seems like the "odd" man out. Your "niche" is found when only you have an interest in it. If this is for a group effort, can this get extra credit? you may ask the teacher about what if you turned it in out of interest? Advocacy is based on that. She cannot say no. Law & Social supports work that way. Then you keep the paper for reuse or to revise when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, there is no such thing as extra credit here in NZ. She can say no, because all the assignments are already sit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just trying to illustrate that in real life advocacy, when defending equal access of natives, that not even a learned degree holding paper pusher may just say "no". Now if teach said that either you move off of your homestead or face getting an F, which would be the better option?

    ReplyDelete