Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 34

Wednesday, 4/08/10

Learned some new sentence structures in Māori class. Nōnawhea/Inawhea meaning when in the past, when someting happened in the past. Example, my birthday:

Nō te kotahi mano iwa rau tekau mā waru au i whānau mai ai.

I was born in 1989.

Somewhat close with Hawaiian:

I ka makahiki ʻumikūmāiwa kanakawalukūmāiwa au i hānau mai ai.

Then we also learned Ki taku mohio...offering opinons. Later, in tutorial, had to do my kōrero-ā-waha tuatahi, my first speech about our favorite food. So I talked about poi. Could really eat some right now with poke!!! So, I was nervous because I am going to talk Māori to everyone and pretty much they all Māori! So did my short introduction of my speech, then a little bit of genealogy, difference between the ones we all commonly eat and the ones straight from the loʻi and then about the loʻi at UHM. Ka pai!

Te Tiriti/Treaty tutorial at 2pm. Just going over the first assignment as well as just asking questions regarding the lectures and about Te Tiriti/Treaty. I really like this class. I like the discussions, because it makes me critically think about what Māori were trying to achieve as well as where Hawaiʻi was during those times.

No comments:

Post a Comment