Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 37: Rotorua

Saturday, 7/08/10

Woke up early and its raining! Ate breakfast, they always have complimentary breakfast. They used to have bread, but people used to eat half the loaf, so they just have cereal. My cocoa rice krispies was kinda hard. I don’t know why?! Got a complimentary shuttle to Hell’s Gate, Waiora Spa, our first activity of the day. Bought the Hell’s Gate Combo Package for $85NZD (Geothermal Reserve Walk, Mud Bath & Sulphur Spa). We began with the walk. A self guided walk through the geothermal area, lots of hot mud baths and sulphur. Really nice and cool scenary. Took pictures, so you guys can see! After that, we too a MUD BATH!!! Haha it was kinda weird and fun! Their mud was a different color, only could stay in there for 20mins. Rinsed off and headed to the sulphur spa, stayed there for about half and hour and just talked story with the Māori guys who were working. The land that Hell’s Gate is on, belongs to an iwi (tribe). Didn’t wanna stay in too long, plus it was getting crowded with the other people so we decided to shower and leave. Since, the shuttle didn’t leave till 12:30pm, we decided to go to the carving place and do a small carving activity. I choose a carving that represents strength. Left Hell’s Gate and headed back to Crash Palace.

Then we wanted to go Zorbing. It’s still been raining. So we asked for directions on how to get to this place. I’m pretty sure your wandering what it is? Is a big ball covering a smaller ball and you get to get inside and go down a hill. Yea, thats what I did! Caught the bus and it was pouring when we got there! Choke people there, watching and people coming down the hill. I paid $44NZD for this, I wanted to the water one where they put warm water inside and of course you have to wear something you don’t mind getting wet. Freezing cold in my surf shorts waiting for our transportation to come down. They came, went up and was anxious to go! When it was my turn, the guy already had everything set, just added the warm water and I dove in. He zippered the entrance/exit and prepared to push me down. So I am in there laying down. He pushes me and I am going down the zig zag path! HAHA having so much fun!!! Being pushed around inside with the water, it felt like a washing machine! It was sooo awesome! They should have something like this back at the Waterpark. Arrived at the bottom and the guy unzipped the ball and I jump out. It’s freezing cold!!! Pretty much get soaked in the ball. So I standing outside with the other people where we can watch them come down. I wait and watch as Kailee and and Logan come down. Freezing cold and it was pretty fun watching them roll down. Logan and Kailee paid to go on the jetboat, so we had to quickly dryup and change. Me, I neva thought to bring the towel that I stay using at the hostel. No worries, this Hawaiian is akamai. I used my undershirt to dry myself and just wear my jacket. Hahaha! Still pouring rain, so had to walk to the place where the jetboat is. Pretty far walk!

Finally arrived to the place and there is a whole bunch of other activities to do there as well. Logan and Kailee changes and preps for the jetboat. So they had to put on a jacket, helmet and glasses. The guy took them out and they were going on the water pathway for at least 5mins. Took some awesome professional pictures with their $600USD something camera. After that it was back to walking in the way, back to the Zorb place to catch the bus back. As soon as we arrived at the Zorb place, the bus came. Returned to Crash Palace and I headed to my room to drop my stuff off and take a nice warm shower again. Then get a text from Logan saying lots go to the jacuzzi. What?! I just took a shower again. So went for like 10mins and we was out. Took my 3rd shower of the day. Went to a bar to watch the All Blacks play against Australia. All Blacks 20-10!!! Since it’s been raining and if the weather doesn’t clear up, we were planning to move or cancel our walk tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I could not hold back....The first sentence goes into breakfast. Do you have milk with the cereal? Is your milk bottled in pint/litre bottles or is it from a dispenser? I ask because of the collectibility of milk bottles, especially ones with embossing. I'm sorry to read of how everyone only eats half of a loaf of bread and not finish it. Toastin the unused half goes well when offered with jelly, jam, peanutbutter, soups n chowders. All Blacks seem to enjoy celebrity status as good musicians do here. Does this imply that you now dress rugby? That means those wide horizontally striped longsleeve polo/rugby shirts with white button top collars? Oh, a word of caution. Reading the NZ Herald on line, I gather that young people are getting killed in the line of binge drinking and the government is putting the burden of the problem on the drinker. The government is doing nothing to stop alcohol advertising and all around enticing(rewarding)young people to buy booze. Bars and Clubs make it attractive to go, socialize and get "snokered", "drunk". That was that first noisy night, you probably came accross in your first hostel night. We're hoping you consider the results of participating. In the old days when the islands had no alcohol controls, there was also no bottle return programs. Our bottles filled that concrete floor under the pine trees next to the pavillion. We(I) used to prove how thick the bottoms of our(my) feet were(was) by walking on the layers of broken glass. It can only be done after months and months of constant walking on gravel, wearing shoes only for church, then removing them as soon as you can. Note, this composition where the thesis paragraph does not match the summary is deliberate, not to be submitted for grading....

    ReplyDelete