Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 62: Te Toi o Matariki

Wednesday, 1/9/10

It's already September! 2 Months gone already, that fast! Can't believe it, already half way of living here in Aotearoa. Anyways, I've titled this blog "Te Toi o Matariki". Te Toi o Matariki is an annual Graduate Conference. This year marks the 4th year hosted by the Pro Vice-Chancellor Māori Office. This conference targets Māori Postgraduate students and prospective students of the University of Waikato. This conference includes keynote presenters who are well known in academia and research and also, presentations from emerging researchers throughout each faculty or school of Waikato. It was really awesome to attend one of these conferences, I was a "late register". Anyways, met up with couple other people from Waiora, the group I went down to Wellington with. Besides the keynote speaker today, couple students from Te Raupapa, Management School and Te Pua Wānanga ki te Ao, School of Māori and Pacific Development also presented their research. All Māori's presenting their research in their respective Schools, but when it came to Māori and Pacific Development. I couldn't really understand! Haha they spoke fluently in Māori! I only understood bits and pieces, didn't even understand their general topic of their research.

Got to see who Professor Linda Tuhiwai Smith is. She is a well known and respected person here at Waikato. Her book and work are really interesting. Then all of a sudden, I see this person. It's Aunty Noenoe! Finally!!! She arrived mid August and just now I finally gotten to see her! She's from Hilo and has been working at Hawaiʻi Community College. I also met her through a Pūkoʻa Council meeting and found out she was finishing up her PhD here at Waikato. I got to know Uncle Hotu and Aunty Kim them through Aunty Noenoe.

Later on, got tired after lunch and so I headed back to my room. Then found out what Aunty Noenoe was doing. Work! So I went to go visit her at her office and we just talk story and catch up. Then, Aunty invited me to dinner! Yes! Haha called up Leo to have her meet Aunty Noenoe. Left College Hall about 5pm and met Uncle Woody. Went to Pack n Save to buy some food for dinner. Whats for dinner?! Stir fry and SPAM musubi!!! CHEEE HEE!!! Spam here is pretty expensive plus people don't really eat spam here. So Aunty them are living with Aunty Rangiiria, she's a teacher at Māori and Pacifc Development. So, me, Leo and Uncle Woody just talked story and watch tv, while Aunty when cook. Ahh was so ʻono!!! Awesome cooking, awesome home cooked meal I should say. None of that cafeteria food!

No comments:

Post a Comment